Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 4, dear diary and all that jazz

It has been four days since I arrived here in Pune, and somehow I am already starting to feel at home. I mean, everything is new all the time, but people are to helpful and open and interested in getting to know us, that I am sort of floating on a cloud of "everything is new and interesting". It also helps a lot to live in a room with two other people, cause we talk all the time. That makes it a lot easier to sneak in questions about where to go, what to do and things like that.

Right now I am trying to use all the extra energy I get when I something is new and exciting, and so far, I have to say I think I have been pretty good at it. There are tonnes to do with school and administrative "new in India" kinds of things, but what I am thinking is that it is probably right now that I have the most time and energy to spear during this year. I mean, ever the most exciting things become everyday things as time passes. That is why I want to see and experience as much as possible right now, before the focus has to move towards homework and exams.
So.. Here are a few of the things I have done and noticed since last time:
I had an amazing lecture today in a class called strategic marketing management. I would have neer thought it would be good when it startet. The lecture started with the professor throwing the door shut, and then locking it with a bang. Man, I was shocked. From there I really thought there was no chance I would like the class. But from there, it got really good. We solved a casestudy in groups and then in plenum - it was three hours of heavy discussion. I loved it! Everyone here discuss the topics in an incredibly intelligent way, and they obivously knew what they were talking about. The best part about marketing is the fact that there is not one right and ten wrong answers to how to solve an issue, so you can be disagree completely, but still both parties might be right. The debate is on. During the same lecture I realized I am going to learn a lot here, cause their focus is very different from back home. That was exactly why I wanted to come here.

In the evening one of the guys in my class took me out on his scooter to show me parts of the city center. That was, I think, the very first time I have ever sat on of those. And it was sooo much fun! We were driving aroung on that thing through big parts of the city, we had northern indian food (yes, there is a difference), we ate ice cream with coconut taste, and we went to an indian optician. That last one was a big mistake of course, because it turned out I actually need glasses. So, after six years (God, has it already been that long) of studying I have managed to burn my eyes properly. Well, the journey to this point has been good at least.

By the way, one liter of gas costs 72 rupees in India, which is something like 1,2 euros. So it is a bt cheaper than back home. Still, there is a huge difference in the average salary there and here, which must mean it is a lot more expensive here. Even so, I haven`t heard anyone complain about it.
Outside the campus, it is quite obvious that people notice me. A lot of people are stearing at me when I walk in the streets or go shopping or something. So far, I have just smiled and greeted them, which works pretty well. Most people smile back, some even stops to talk. And I don`t want to sound weird or anything, but I am getting a lot of phone numbers! It seems like people here spread them out everywhere. I can call them at aaaanytime if there is an issue, or I need something or want a tour of the city or anything. Back home I would have taken it as the worst pickupline in the world, but here it feels like they actually mean it. Either that, or I am a lot easier to charm than I thought.

Another thing is the fact that people are more than extra helpful. The rickshaw-drivers, the waitorers, salespeople.. They come running when they see me and they are willing to do anything. In addition to that, they are more than willing to charge me pretty generously for it too.

I haven`t really had a jetlag in any organ of my body, exept from my tummy. I wake up in the middle of the night here, and have to pee like never before. It happens pretty much exactly half an hour later than when I usually went to bed in Berlin.

And yes, I have tasted a lot of good food here. When I was leaving, I was told to be extremely careful in the beginning. I haven`t. I figured I will probably get sick at some point anyways, so I might as well eat well till it happens. Also, I made the o so big mistake of drinking tap water already the first day I was here. There was no big reaction to it, so I have just kept doing it, in small portions at least.
At this point there is not a lot more to tell, but keep dropping by -  something might show up. There is quite a big pile of pictures waiting to be posted now, I just have to find an internet source that lets me post them. In the meanwhile you will just have to "hang in there" or get a life or something like that. If that isn`t doing the work for you, you can visit google.in og search for Hinjewadi.That is where I live.


Bits and pieces
Karen


___________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Andre blogginnlegg